Dec 12, 2021 | Native Hope
“We can only be what we give ourselves the power to be.” This Native American Proverb has been shining through over the course of November. We would like to extend a huge thank you to our generous donors - you give us the power to give and support Native American communities near and far.
To kick off the month, we got to celebrate our Akičhitas (warriors) on Veteran’s Day! We received a request to supply cakes and other supplies for Lakota Veterans. It was an honor to be able to assist. Another request was made by a tribal member of the Standing Rock Reservation, two hundred and one holiday meals! We were able to provide a ham, green beans, corn, potatoes, butter, fruit, sweet potatoes, and of course mini marshmallows to families in need. We traveled a total of 446 miles to get this delivery made, it was amazing to see people in this community helpful to one another.
COVID-19 Pandemic on Reservations
Every month we work with tribal leaders to see how we can assist during this pandemic. One of our larger campaigns, Back to Basics, helps us assist those who are having to quarantine. Thanks to you, we provided 27 families with meal and cleaning kits throughout the month. Twenty-seven families, that’s 143 Native American individuals in need! Thank you to our donors for making this possible.
Assisting Native Americans in Need
Throughout November we had many requests! We were able to supply:
- Six-hundred boxes of supplies to the Crow Creek reservation. They received an assortment of holiday supplies, clothing, hygiene supplies and more!
- Clothing, dishes, bedding, hygiene and other necessities to three families in need who lost their homes in a fire.
- Six-hundred boxes of supplies to the Lower Brule reservation. They received a large variety of items, winter supplies, clothing and kitchen items —just about anything you can think of!
- Eighteen winter coats to children in need.
- MANY holiday gift requests!
Native Hope is Coming to Town
As previously mentioned, we have lots and lots of holiday gift requests to fill this month! Requests came from:
- Lower Brule Head Start. These gifts will be for children aged four to five years old who attend this program.
- Lower Brule Boys and Girls Club. These gives will go to children in need who attend this program.
- Crow Creek Episcopal Church. Community members will get to select gifts for their children.
- Lower Brule CHR program. These gifts will be for the children whose families have received COVID-19 assistance from us this past year.
- The Bear Program, organized by our fellow Tiny Decory on the Pine Ridge reservation. She will provide gifts to children in her Bear Program, and throughout the community.
- The Cheyenne River Indian Youth Project. This program provides for children ages 4-18 and are looking to make this Christmas one to remember.
- Legion Post 324, located in Bullhead, S.D. These gifts will go to children of all ages throughout the community.
- The Department of Social Services offices in South Dakota. Assistance with gifts for Native American children in foster care. We will be providing gifts in 21 counties!
With your help, we can make a Native American child’s wish come true. Consider shopping our Holiday Wish List today. If that’s not your thing, you can always make a contribution to our Back to Basics: Holiday Appeal!
With much appreciation for our donors and supporters, Native Hope celebrates the expansion of our horizons last month and looks forward to continued growth. Philámaya to those who contribute to our efforts across Indian Country — you make all of this possible.