“You can’t purchase friendship — you have to do your part to make it.” Sauk Proverb.
At Native Hope, we strive to build relationships with tribal leaders to identify needs better. This month, we had requests from numerous organizations and tribal members throughout the state of South Dakota. Thank you, donors, for supporting us on this journey. We can not do this work without you!
New Year, New COVID-19 Cases
2022 started with a bang—of Covid-19 cases! In just 31 days, we assisted a total of 74 families with food, hygiene, and cleaning supplies. Often, these packs also include diapers, baby wipes and formula depending on the household’s needs. Here is a message we received from a family we assisted:
“Thank you all at Native Hope. You really helped my family and my daughter’s family with the food. God bless you all!”
Here is what we assisted with in January:
- A variety of youth winter coats, hats and gloves–Tokata Youth Center, Ft. Thompson, SD.
- Winter supplies for people of all ages–Lower Brule, SD.
- One trailer packed with a variety of supplies–Tree of Life,Mission, S.D.
- An assortment of women’s hygiene products, including a donation of SheThinx to Crow Creek Tribal School.
- Blankets, hygiene items and other supplies–Homeless Shelter, Lower Brule, S.D.
- 1,200 boxes of supplies –Potato Creek, Rosebud, SD.
- Diapers, bottles, baby clothing, soap, lotions and rash cream–Family Enrichment, Ft. Thompson, SD.
- Hygiene items, clothing and Joseph Marshall III books –Drug Court, Lower Brule, SD.
The Native Hope Team had the opportunity to film Part III of our series on Kid Whispering, Transition Specialist Krista Lepkowski! Krista knows it well and tames the concept in her vital work with students at St. Joseph’s Indian School as she supports students in their transition into life beyond their high school years. Be sure to tune in and listen to the wisdom of thought-leaders on Native American education today with the launch of Hóčhocka Podcast! Season 1, Episode 1 and Episode 2 are available NOW!
As always, we thank all who support our efforts to assist and bring awareness
to the beauty of Native culture.